The castle was defended by the Moors when Tavira fell to Paio Peres Correia, the Grand-Master of the military Order of Santiago during the Reconquest in 1242. Further construction was undertaken on the castle in the 1290s by King Dinis, before Tavira Castle was damaged in the earthquake of 1755.
Tavira Castle is located on a hill in the centre of old Tavira and is about 1km from Tavira Station.
Visitors to Tavira Castle can admire the fine garden contained below the walls and towers of the fortress.
© Portugal Visitor.com