July 29, 2016

Castle of the Moors Sintra

The Castle of the Moors (Castelo dos Mouros) in Sintra outside Lisbon is an historic fort built by the Moors in the 8th and 9th centuries. The castle was captured by Afonso Henriques (1109-1185) in 1147 and was no longer in use by the 15th century.

Damage to the walls and the chapel on the site (Chapel of São Pedro de Penaferrim) occurred in the 1755 Lisbon earthquake and the site became a "romantic ruin" during the reign of Don Fernando II (1816-1885) in the 18th century.

Castle of the Moors, Sintra.


There are superb views over the wooded hills of Sintra from its battlements.

Other nearby places of interest include the Estate of Penha Verde (Quinta da Penha Verde), the Gardens of Pena (Parque da Pena) of which the ruined castle is part, the Estate of Regaleira (Quinta da Regaleira), and the Estate of Relógio (Quinta do Relógio).


Castle of the Moors Sintra, Portugal.

The walls of the castle can be walked from Sintra-Vila along Rua Marechal Saldanha. The steep walk is about 2km in total. Alternatively catch a #434 bus from Sintra Station which makes a circuit from Sintra Station via the town center, Castelo dos Mouros and the Palacio Nacional de Sintra.

The Castle of the Moors is open daily from 9.30am-8pm (summer) and 10am-6pm (winter). A combined ticket can be purchased to visit the Castle of the Moors, the National Palace and the Pena Palace.

The stand alone admission fee to the Castle of the Moors is presently 8 Euros.

Castle of the Moors Sintra, Portugal.

Castelo dos Mouros
Estrada da Pena
Parque de Monserrate
Sintra 2710-609
Portugal

No comments: