September 25, 2016

Igreja Paroquial do Santíssimo Sacramento

The Igreja Paroquial do Santíssimo Sacramento is located in the Chiado district of central Lisbon. The church was first established in 1147, shortly after D. Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal, captured Lisbon from the Moors.

 Igreja Paroquial do Santíssimo Sacramento, Lisbon.


At first a small chapel, by 1750, it was a grand Baroque church. However, like much of the surrounding area, it was completely destroyed by the earthquake that devastated Lisbon on November 1, 1755.

The current church was designed by the architect Reinaldo Manuel dos Santos and opened in 1784 as part of the reconstruction of the Portuguese capital as planned by the Marquis of Pombal.

However, Pombal wanted the new church to face south, to fit in with his grand scheme for Lisbon but the church insisted on the doorway facing east, which is does, and is believed to be the only church in Lisbon to do so.

Further restoration work on the church meant that it only reopened in 2009 after over 20 years of repairs.

 Igreja Paroquial do Santíssimo Sacramento, Lisbon, Portugal.


Highlights of a visit include a crypt of mummified bodies and the hugely ornate ceiling paintings.

Baixa-Chiado is the nearest station on the Lisbon metro.

Igreja Paroquial do Santíssimo Sacramento
Calçada Sacramento 11
1200 Lisbon, Portugal
Tel: 21 342 5369

The Igreja Paroquial do Santíssimo Sacramento is open daily from noon until 5pm with mass celebrated at 4.15pm.

No comments: