January 2, 2017

Igreja de São Paulo Braga

The Igreja de São Paulo (Church of St. Paul) in Braga is a Jesuit church dating from 1589.

Igreja de São Paulo Braga, Portugal.

The austere, granite facade hides a superb, decorative interior with the altars masterpieces of gilded woodwork by such master sculptors as Thomas de Araújo, Francisco Ferreira and Luis Vieira da Cruz.

The church has a single nave with seven side chapels dedicated to Mary, Joseph, John the Baptist, Francis Xavier and other saints. The decorative work on the interior continued during the 17th and 18th centuries with beautiful blue and white azulejos tiles from Lisbon also added to the church.

Igreja de São Paulo
Largo de São Paulo
Braga 4700-042

No comments: